1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exporting to dBase from Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Barrentine, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barrentine

Barrentine Thread Starter

I'm a novice Access/database user with probably a novice problem. I am trying to export from Access to dBASE. I have followed the instructions for exporting data, searched the help function, the archives in this forum, and my books on Access and have not found the answer to my problem. When I try to save the query to a dBase file, I get a message that reads "field will not fit in record" I have the fields set up in the Access table exactly as the dBase user (my boss) described them. I have checked the fields in each record to see if the data is the correct size. The largest field is 34 and that is how my boss has it set up in his dBase tables. I have no idea how to proceed, and hope someone can help me. Thank you,

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What is the full name and extension of the Access database file, and what version of Access are you using?

How many tables do you have?
    Have you tried exporting them to Excel and then into dBase instead? Might be faster than trying to figure out this problem.

There are two references to this error in the internet, but neither provides more than the error itself--there's nothing about how to get around it.

3. Barrentine

Unfortunately, I am such a novice at this that I don't know the file name and extension. I'm using Access 2000. There is only one table. I did export to Excel, but when my boss tried to open in dbase the data was corrupted.
    Thank you for your reply.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    After you open the Access database, hit File-Properties.

5. Barrentine

Thanks, the file name is AASWG Membership2.MDB. Also there are 4 tables not one, but they are not linked.

6. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I think its fairly simple. Try this in Access 2000.

- Select a table.
    - Right click on it and click on Export.
    - In the dialog box that opens, in Save as Type, select the .dbf format that you want.
    - Select the path and file name (DBase III +, DBase IV, etc.)
    - Click on Save.

I think that should do it. Anyway, have a look at the screen shots. (Please ignore the rawness in the arrangement of pictures, I am not good at art ;)).

Hope I have understood your problem correctly.

Attached Files:

7. Barrentine

thank you for all the trouble you went to to send the photos, however, that is where I would go and then when I hit save I get the message "field will not fit in record". Most confusing to me. Thanks

8. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Dbase, etc. must be having some restrictions on maximum field width. Of course Access has a larger limit. One of your fields exceeds the maximum permissible characters in .dbf files.

Check the structure of tables and export it to an excel worksheet if necessary. From there I think you can transfer to a .dbf file. But you are likely to get the same error.

I think you will have to either divide the field into two smaller fields or be ready to lose some data

9. THoey

THoey

I think ABV is on the right track. As a default, Access creates some rather large field sizes. I would go into design mode of your tables, look at the different field sizes, shorten any that you can, and try again...

10. Barrentine

Thank to all for the help. The export to Excel and then dbase finally worked. Again, many thanks.

11. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

You are welcome!! Glad it is worked out as you wanted. :p

12. sfcucci

sfcucci

I too am a beginner in access.
    My issue is I need to modify the data in my table,
    but it is too large to export into Excel.

Any suggestions?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice