1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Express Card Slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kramer55, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kramer55

Kramer55 Thread Starter

I want to purchase a specific sound card for my laptop (the Audigy 2 ZS Notebook card), but, according to Dell, I do not have the required PCMCIA slot. Instead, I have an Express Card slot.

Would the PCMCIA soundcard work in the Express Card slot? Some of the Dell technicians have said that it will not work, but they have been wrong in the past.

Are there any other options if the sound card would not work in the Express slot? Dell said something about buying an adapter, but they weren't sure as to what kind that would be.

Thanks for any help.

2. norton850

norton850

Express card slots are what's showing up on laptops. The older type cards will not work in the express slots. Some laptops have both types, but that probably won't help you much. Not aware that there are any adapters. I doubt it.

Edit: I did a Google search and there might be something you can use. But I'm embarrassed to say that I couldn't always tell if the conversion was for a PC card to express card slot or vice versa.

3. Kramer55

Kramer55 Thread Starter

Are there any other types of laptop sound cards I could purchase?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. norton850

norton850

I don't think there's anything presently available, but don't know for sure.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you can get USB sound cards - my son uses one to drive a 250W Amp

7. Kramer55

Kramer55 Thread Starter

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Any speakers that are for pc's will work with that external card.

9. Kramer55

Kramer55 Thread Starter

One more quick question, would This Sound Card work well? I know it's not the same as the one above, but would I still be able to get decent sound from it with any different type of speakers?

Thanks again.

EDIT: I just noticed on the requirements page, it said:
    Microsoft Windows® XP (SP1) or 2000 (SP4)

I have SP2; will this be compatible?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice