1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ext 3.5" floppy drive compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KCDP76A, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KCDP76A

KCDP76A Thread Starter

I am trying to migrate some old text files off of a Windows 95 computer using a 3.5" floppy, as the old tower predates USB ports and has no internet connectivity. I can get the files onto a 3.5" floppy w/ no problem. I bought an external HP 3.5" floppy drive with USB connection to use on my new laptop running Windows 7. When I put in the diskette w/ the files on it, it sees nothing and says I need to format the disk. When I put in a new unformatted 3.5" floppy to format it, it says "Windows can't format this type of disk. Insert a different disk and try again." I am using what were standard double sided/double face 135 TPI 3.5" floppies. I've tried a couple of different brands. Any suggestions?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The new floppy drive may be faulty as it should be a plug and play device on any Windows 7 system and should be able to read and format standard 1.44MB/135TPI 3.5" disks.

3. KCDP76A

KCDP76A Thread Starter

Following your post I sent a note to the vendor, as I just bought this drive new for the migration. He seems to agree w/ you and I am sending it back for a replacement. Thanks.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Let us now how it turns out.

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Have to disagree. The diskette probably can't be read because it is bad. The shelf life of a diskette is pretty short, and finding one that's unreadable is more often the norm than the exception today. To make matters worse, as diskette drives age they tend to write tracks that aren't properly aligned, so even with good diskettes, any data written to them may not be readable on a new drive. Bottom line is that no matter what Windows reports about successfully writing data to a diskette, you can't believe it or expect to retrieve the data. What you need to do is invest in a USB adapter that will let you connect the old hard drive to a new machine and copy the data directly

6. KCDP76A

KCDP76A Thread Starter

I returned the drive. The vendor said it worked fine. I am getting a full refund. The vendor also suggested getting the SATA to USB adapter. To be honest, I'm not sure it is even a SATA drive. However, whatever it is, the next step does seem to be to buy necessary cables to enable it to hook into a USB port, as suggested by the last post. I probably won't get to it right away; but, will post progress as it happens. Thanks.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it had 95 on it, it is almost certainly not a SATA but an IDE drive (flat ribbon cable).

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Additionally there is a chance that the drive may be compressed or may not work with a PATA to USB adapter as I have found some really old drives just dont work.

You may want to just try another USB floppy drive, try a local computer store for one.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice