Ext USRobotics modem vs others - difference?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angel

This is a rather generic question. Does anyone know what the main difference(s) between a USRobotics external modem and other brands are?
In short, there's an old dos program setup to dial in to somewhere to send a file. The company claims their software can only be used with USRobotics modems and that does seem to be the case since can't get any it to recognize any others. This in itself isn't a big deal - can be sent online in a couple of weeks.

But I just want to understand 'why?' - what's so special about a USRobotics modem?

Thanks!

Nothing special....they are just too lazy to write their software to accept other modem types. If you knew the init strings and where in the software to set them you could use any modem you want...tell em they are full of it...LOL. Probably some proprietay terminal emulation program isn't it??

angel

Well, I'm having them send me all the files. I'll look around in them and see if I can find any.

angel

I found the init strings - looks like they actually have 2 config files depending on the modem. Not sure what I'm looking for though. When using the settings below, the response she receives now is that the modem is not turned on:
AT &F2 " Factory default with RTS/CTS handshaking.
E0 " Turn command echo off.
W1 " Enable expanded result codes
N " Use DTE speed to restrict carrier rate
S95=32 " Enable compression result code
\N4 " Require error-correcting link
%C " Disable data compression
S0=0 " Disable auto-answer
| " Give modem CR
~ " Give some time for modem to respond.
? " Show modem response.

When using the other settings, she gets the same message but also some other text specific to 3com modems (sorry, don't have that):
AT &F1 " Factory default with RTS/CTS handshaking.
E0 " Turn command echo off.
S0=0 " Disable auto-answer
&M5 " Require error correcting link
| " Give modem CR
~ " Give some time for modem to respond.
? " Show modem response.

Turns out she does need to send these files so looks like I'll be looking into this. If all else fails, I have a usrobotics here at work that I could use to send the files to her but now it's just bugging me - principal of it, I guess.
She has a Multitech MT 2834 ZDX
Any ideas while I'm digging through multitech's website?

angel

If anyone here is good with init strings, I'd love you forever if you could help me set this up. Here's what needs to be done:
We want the modem setup to establish the following conditions...
Error correction mode required (preferably LAPM)
Data compression (optional)
DSR signal active at all times modem is turned on
DCD indicates when carrier from remote modem is present
DTR off terminates call
Hardware handshaking using RTS/CTS enabled
Carrier speed determined by DTE speed (computer serial port rate)
Auto-answer disabled (optional)

I found the AT commands for her modem: http://www.multitech.com/DOCUMENTS/manuals/82034908.pdf

From what I can gather, go to a Hyperterminal window and type AT&SF0&D3#L3S0=1&W
This will write the string to non volatile memory and store it there...when you start the program, put an ATZ as the init strin for the modem and it should initilize with the one in memory. To change back to the factory default go to Hyperterminal again and type in AT&F&W

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts