1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extend wifi beyond house

Discussion in 'Networking' started by testy, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. testy

testy Thread Starter

I would like to have wifi in my shed/workshop, which is all steel construction. Even standing outside the door, I'm at the limit of our household wifi, so I'm wondering what options I have? An ethernet cable would be one I'm sure, but a little difficult to run. I've seen reference to networking via the electric power supply cables, but don't understand it. Would I still need a router in the shed? I'd really like some kind of hot spot, because I mostly use my tablet which doesn't have broadband, or an ethernet port.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3948 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 454935 MB, Free - 327500 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K52Jr
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How far apart are the two buildings?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Also, do you have line-of-sight between the buildings? Between a window in each building?

4. testy

testy Thread Starter

From my router to the shed, about 15 metres. No, I don't have line of sight at all. I do have an ethernet cable to the roof of the shed from an old satellite broadband dish, but when I dismantled the dish, I cut the cable, and I don't have the tools to fit a new end onto it. Is that worth considering?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    15 metres, if line of sight, is no problem for 802.11g or better. But with obstacles it's impossible to predict anything.

6. testy

testy Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't know what 802.11g means.

7. testy

testy Thread Starter

Ah, I just checked my router, and see that it's 802.11 compliant.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not going to try to describe the 802.11g specification, but the point is that 802.11g is good for up to 300 feet line of sight. 802.11n up to 1500 (or 1400?) feet.

9. testy

testy Thread Starter

What about an external antenna on my router, to at least get the signal out of the house? My router is a Netcomm 3g 11n router with a little stick antenna.
    Hmm.., I have seen mention somewhere of using another router as a repeater. My model is now only $50 here in Australia, so cost comparison with an antenna seems reasonable when I take into account the job of running the antenna lead. If I did that, would I have the same situation in the shed as I have in the house, in terms of connectibility? And do you have any comment on the power adapters? I have looked online, and see that they are available with wifi built in, but a little pricey.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Power adapters work great in many cases; poorly or not at all in others. Depends on the quality of the electrical system and I have no idea how to determine except by trial and error.

The fewer and less serious obstacles you have in the path between the antennas of two Wi-Fi devices the stronger and more reliable the signal should be.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice