1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

extend windows (on a laptop) to a second monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aromes, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aromes

aromes Thread Starter

I've read on computing tech news that
    windows Xp by itself could manage a dual display if I have no video card that supports dual display.
    I have an matrox MGA-G200 AGP video card
    and am using windows XP Pro.
    Usually, for use of 2 monitors, you get
    in your "settings" tab (in the display properties, the options to extend your desktop to another monitor. In my case, there's no options at all for dual display.
    So is that true that I can use dual display
    whether my video card supports it or not..as long as Windows XP is the OS?

2. winbob

winbob

Well on a Laptop it can be possible to have the SAME display on two monitors. One being the LCD, and the other being an externally connected monitor.

However, in order to have two SEPARATE displays on two separate monitors, you need to have two Video Cards. Then the support can be 2 separate sets of video real estate, OR a single screen image (desktop) SPREAD OVER the two Displays (acting as a single logical monitor).

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I didn't know laptops had AGP equivalent slots. What model laptop is this? Windows XP doesn't guarantee dual monitor support. The video card has to support it. I also don't know of any laptops that have built-in dual monitor support. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know you can connect some models to docking stations which contain a 2nd video card which then allow dual monitors.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice