Solved Extended displays does not work

AntonHennessy

Hi

I recently bought a second screen for my laptop, but the extended mode does not work.

I'm currently running the laptop with a BenQ monitor and a Philips TV hooked up with a hdmi splitter. The problem I'm having is that the laptop recognises the two external screens as the same one, which means that I have two screens that show the same thing.

What i'm after is that the laptop screen and the two external screens all show separate windows and are extended, instead of having one extended and two duplicates.

I've checked that my graphics card can run two external monitors and im running Windows 10.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I believe that laptop only has a single display port socket, if so the Monitor and TV will only be able to show the same display.

AntonHennessy

I believe that laptop only has a single display port socket, if so the Monitor and TV will only be able to show the same display.
In that case, is there any other way to solve the problem? Maybe using diffrent hardware or installing new software?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You're welcome (although you really fixed it yourself).

So the laptop has a VGA output ?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Ok, I thought it only had the one Display port output for an external monitor, I suppose you thought I was asking if it had more than one 'display port' output rather than any other types like Vga.

Anyhow if you're sure it's working ok now please click on [Mark Solved] at the top of your page.

AntonHennessy

Ok, I thought it only had the one Display port output for an external monitor, I suppose you thought I was asking if it had more than one 'display port' output rather than any other types like Vga.

Anyhow if you're sure it's working ok now please click on [Mark Solved] at the top of your page.
Preferably i would like to only use the Display port and not VGA, if possible.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To have different contents on 2 external monitors each monitor needs it's own separate connection to the laptop. So it it has one Vga output and one Display port output and no others you will have to use both.

Using a splitter on the Display port output can only send the same content to both monitors, as you found out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online