1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extended LCD screens using ribbon cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thshen, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thshen

thshen Thread Starter

Hi All,

I want to connect two screens to a motherboard, but do you know if there are motherboards with multiple LCD sockets? I know there may be vga or dvi sockets, but I don't want to use those, or any kind of converter. Would a video card give me extra lcd sockets? I just want to extend my laptop screens with only using LCD ribbon cables - is this possible?

Thanks

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

What exactly is a LCD socket if I may ask? Ribbon cable? Like component video and sterio audio? I think we need some more information unless I'm the only one in the dark.

3. thshen

thshen Thread Starter

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The only type of motherboard that might have a chance of having two such connectors would one that was designed for a notebook PC that had two LCD displays built in.

5. thshen

thshen Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way of adding another socket to the board or perhaps some kind of cable splitter for the LCD socket? If not, I guess my only other option is to get a VGA to LCD socket converter right (assuming the motherboard has a VGA port)?

Thanks

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    There is a very good possibility that the controller might not have enough signal strength to drive two displays with any kind of paralleled sockets or cable splitter arrangement.

You may be able to find an industrial LCD driver board that can drive the LCD panel you wish to use and has a VGA input. Don't be surprised if just the board costs more than a complete LCD monitor with a VGA input.

7. thshen

thshen Thread Starter

Hi Chuck,

That's interesting. A laptop seems to be able to handle extended displays (the built-in screen and an external monitor), which is what I'm trying to do except have the external monitor be connected permanently via another additional LCD socket. Since the controller can handle extended displays using the built-in screen and external monitor, shouldn't I be able to drive two displays as long as I have the connections available? Also, would lower resolution screens put less stress on the controller?

Thanks

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The LCD panels have an internal terminating resistance which can be handled by the controller. Adding another parallel display doubles the load seen by the controller that could affect signal levels as well as slowing rise and fall times. The affect of the change in rise and fall times would be less noticeable on lower resolution displays.

Note: If you are attempting to use two different brand and/or part number LCD panels that use the same type of flat flex cable, it does not mean that they have identical functions for a given contact point on the cable.

9. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Hmm, kind of sounds like trying to milk a bull in a china shop, but at least its interesting now that I see what you're trying to do. : )
    I wouldn't even have the temerity to think of such a project.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    There is also the not so small matter of powering the backlight of the second panel. You can't just parallel across the inverter outputs.

11. thshen

thshen Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great input. However, I've noticed that the Nintendo DS has used dual LCD screens for a while now, and one of them is even touch screen. Would you happen to know how it does that?

I've looked at the IFixit teardown of it, and it seems like it uses daughterboards to control the seperate LCD screen. Can anyone verify this or describe how it is done?

Thanks

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I found information on tear downs of the DSi, DSi XL, and 3DS models on the ifixit.com web site but not for the DS model you mention in your post. Can you please provide a link for the DS tear down you mention.

In general terms the game system was designed from the ground up to support dual displays as well as an interface for a simple resistive touch screen that is part of one of the displays.

A laptop manufacturer is not going to design and build the system boards with dual LCD display capabilities unless the laptop will come with dual displays. The additional and more complex parts add to the bill of material cost and reduce profit margins and offer no added benefit for typical buyers.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice