1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extended Router Won't Pick Up Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FionasPet, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FionasPet

FionasPet Thread Starter

I am clueless and need help--have been tearing my hair out for a couple of weeks. We recently enrolled my son in a virtual school that sent him an HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF 32 bit desktop with an AMD Sempron 145 processor (2.80 GHz). At our house, we've got a wireless set-up installed by Charter using a Netgear cable modem. We also have a VoIP modem for our internet phone from phone.com that is hooked up to the Netgear modem. We installed a wireless router into the desktop that works well. However, the signal from the modem does not reach our son's room. The Netgear modem, in fact, is an upgrade from the original--that was Charter's attempt to fix the situation when we called them for help with this problem. We need our son to be able to work in his own room rather than in the living room where there is lots of commotion. We purchased a TP Link Extended Range Wireless Router from Linksys: model number TLWR541G, version 724. Installed it, blah, blah, blah. We got a beautiful, strong signal in our son's room, but no internet. Called their tech department and they tried to help, but there is a language barrier because their tech department is in China, and it's very hard to communicate all of my questions. She did run me through making sure I had the IP address right, (192.168.1.1) but I still can't get internet. I've tried arranging and re-arranging the home network jazz on both computers, but that hasn't helped, and for a time, even my laptop got belligerent. :eek: I keep wondering if I have something plugged in to the wrong place or something configured wrong. The dialogue box I get tells me that the Ethernet cable is either broken or disconnected. One of the things I'm confused about is whether the extended range router is supposed to stay with the modem once I move the desktop to my son's room, or whether it is supposed to go with the desktop. Also, is it supposed to stay wired to one of those, or does it function as a wireless device? I've tried, it all different ways, and nothing seems to work. We do also have a wireless printer, but I haven't even messed with that. My son has a printer that is attached to his computer with a USB cable, so I don't have to involve his computer with the wireless printer in the house. Can someone help me, or should I just commit seppuku and leave the world with some semblance of dignity still intact?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I got eye strain about half way through your massive block of words, so probably missed a lot. What I did get out of that is that you have at least three routers daisy-chained together and do not get internet access through the last one in the chain. If that's correct my top suspect would be that the last and next-to-last routers are using the same LAN subnet (e.g., 192.168.1.x). Sometimes that works sporadically and sometimes not at all.

3. FionasPet

FionasPet Thread Starter

Is there a fix for this?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Login to one of the routers (probably that newest Linksys router) and change the LAN IP address to, say, 192.168.3.1. Then look just beyond that for the Dhcp Server's Start and End addresses. If they changed automatically to 192.168.3.x that's good; if they did not change then you have to change the third number from 1 to 3.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice