1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extending a disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kpierce82, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kpierce82

Kpierce82 Thread Starter

I have 2 hard drives on my laptop. 1 teh C drive is almost full the other D drive is empty. I want to extend the D for more space on C. They are both basic disks and ntfs formatted.

Any help would be appriciated

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The best way is simply to move things that can be moved. Probably the simplest and easiest (and often the largest) is to move the Documents folder. Create a new one on the D: drive, right-click on the folder on your C: drive, Properties, and change the location to the new folder. You will need to log off for things to be moved.

But do you really have 2 drives? If one is a recovery partition on your only drive, you don't want to fill it with things. But if it is truly available space, you can also create a Program Files folder on it and direct installers for new programs to install there instead of C:. Or uninstall some programs, reinstalling them to D:.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice