Extending C: drive

Qmerk

im trying to extend my C drive space, and have seen that id need to make a new drive (E drive for example) so i can copy my D drive stuff over to the E drive. what i dont like is that after that id need to delete my D drive. (hopefully whoever reads this understands what im talking about, because im not good at explaining things). anyways, my question is, instead of taking the extra space on my D drive to put onto my C drive. could i just buy a new drive and use that space to extend my C drive? i ask this because i have about 800 GB worth of stuff on my D drive and im not feeling comfortable with deleting it (even if its copied to the E drive). id rather use a drive that has space without a bunch of stuff on it. i hope i explained what i need help with enough

crjdriver

It is difficult to understand your post. Please use proper grammar and punctuation.
could i just buy a new drive
Of course you can purchase a larger drive and install it.
Next we have no idea what hardware you are running. Post your exact system specs. Run this utility and post the output here. In addition, post a screenshot of disk management.
https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe
i have about 800 GB worth of stuff
Data you do not have at the very least two copies of [on separate media] is data you do not care about. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

plodr

Liz
It is unclear if C and D are partitions on one hard drive or are actually 2 hard drives.
Some computers ship with a small ssd "c" drive and a larger spinning drive "D" drive.
If that is the case here, then you can not extend C drive.

First thing I'd do, if it were my computer is to buy an external portable hard drive 2TB in size and copy the entire contents of D there. Then it will be safe to experiment because you have all the files stored off the computer.

Qmerk

thank you for that answer. it helped out understanding the options i have. one more question does anyone know why we have to delete the drive afterwards? nobody ever explains that anywhere. why cant i just take a lil extra space from D to put onto C without deleting D?

crjdriver

You need to do the tasks outlined in post #2 ie post a screenshot of disk management AND your system specs.

plodr

Liz
Partitions are continuous. In order to make C larger, you have to take space from the beginning of the D partition. In order to do that, you have to move D's contents somewhere else so D is now blank and C can be expanded.

We still do not know if D is a partition or a 2nd hard drive in your system. That is why crjdriver asked you to
post a screenshot of disk management AND your system specs.

Until you do this, I won't be posting in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online