1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

extending range of wireless router for wifes mac

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ateduchy, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ateduchy

ateduchy Thread Starter

HELP !!
    my wifes ibook will only run 80211.b and cannot use wpa security as per my orange broadband router - but it did work with my old dell 1184 router previously.

The desktop pc has a wired connection to a sky router on the top floor, which is wireless but the mac cant connect to it as it is just out of range from the ground floor..

On the middle floor is orange broadband using a siemens wireless router which is within range but using wps psk - so cant connect to it..

What I would like to do is connect wirelessly via the DELL 1184 - using the orange broadband connection..

I can connect routers using network cables to set up - but want to run the dell in the living room using just a power cable and wireless connection..

I want to set up the routers using my dell 1555 studio laptop and then just connect up using the mac.. I think I might need to put the orange settings into the dell router ?

can someone pls list blow by blow instructions of how to set up the routers to talk to each other and then other wireless devices - security can only be none or wep on the dell even if wpa psk on the orange one - is that possible ?

anyway any help would be gratefully received - i've spent all afternoon swearing at the dell 1184 !!

POSTSCRIPT: reset to factory defaults and wireless is not transmitting ?? switched on but not hooked up to an adsl connection is that why ??
    WILL THIS DELL EVEN WORK IN THIS WAY ?? OR SHOULD I JUST GO BUY A REPEATER ?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice