1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extending the life of a Laptop battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cap2587, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I am trying to research how to get the most life out of a Laptop battery. My wife has a Dell Studio 15 with a 9 cell battery. She is using the laptop 90% of the time on A/C Power. I thought about taking the battery out to try and extend the life of it, but am not sure this is the right thing to do. Can some people give me some tips on what to do. How many years should a battery last and does that depend on how much your using it by battery. Thanks

2. TekTime

TekTime

3. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

TekTime,

I really got some good info out of your article. The two main points I got were as follow's:

If you are running your laptop on A/C power then there is no need to have your battery attached to the Laptop. Should I attach the battery once a month drain it and re-charge it and then take it out again? Or just don't put it in unless you are using your battery.

Cycle the battery: When using the battery, let it drain down to powering the computer off, then charge it back up. When the charge reaches 100% are you recommending taking the battery out again. is there a way to stop the battery charging once it get's to 100%.

Hope my questions are not confusing. Could you elaborate a little more. Thanks. Craig

4. TekTime

TekTime

Hi Craig. Thanks for checking out the article!

Yes, you are correct - if the laptop is connected to A/C power, the battery is better off not being in the laptop. Once the battery reaches 100% charged, it should be removed to prevent premature "death", as well as to prevent unnecessary heat buildup in the laptop.

As for cycling the battery, yes - when using battery power, make sure that the battery is allowed to discharge to at least 10% before it is charged again (Windows 7 settings). I set the advanced power settings to allow the battery to get as low as 0% remaining before I remove or recharge it! (I don't recommend setting it or allowing it to drain that low unless you save all important data at the first "low battery" alert; otherwise 5% minimum is recommended)

As far as I know, there is no way to stop the battery from charging once it reaches 10% unless the power supply/adapter has a built in feature that stops charging once it is fully charged.

----
    I bought my laptop 3 years ago (yes..old), and the battery died within 6 months of purchasing the computer. I used the methods described above, and the exact same (replacement) battery has been going strong for 2 1/2 years now! It works!

Hope that helps.

5. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

All the info you gave me really is very helpful. I will follow your advice and it should allow for a much longer battery life. Should I use the laptop on battery once a month after using the laptop without the battery in it Thanks

6. TekTime

TekTime

It's fine to use it with the battery as much as you want, as long as the AC power isn't connected at the same time...it'll be fine. You can also have the battery out as long as you want, but remember after months of not using a battery, it starts to lose it's charging capacity and "cell memory."

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice