Extending to 3 screens with only 1 HDMI Port?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shifter1

Hi,

I'm hoping this is a simple question to answer.

I have an AIO desktop and I have one further monitor currently connected via HDMI, but I would like to connect another monitor (ie have three total screens including the AIO) but use all three as an extended display rather than mirrored. The problem is I only have one HDMI port on the AIO.

I also don't have a VGA connector on the AIO, otherwise I am assuming that I would have been able to connect VGA to VGA and it would have worked (or am I wrong?) as the 3rd monitor has an option of VGA or HDMI connectors

Can I simply buy a VGA to USB adapter and connect it to the original AIO via a USB outlet. Would that give me an extended third screen, or is there something I have not considered?

Thanks in advance for any answers. My system details below

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200613220721.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4785T CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 1848 GB (1745 GB Free); D: 12 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 2B43, ver 000, s/n CZC5340T8G
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n CZC5340T8G
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Oddba11

Jim
If you don't have any more video outputs, then your only option would be to use an external USB video adapter. There are numerous brands and models. Simply choose one with the video output type that you need (ie: HDMI).

*Note that these typically work ok business type applications. They aren't as fast as a direct connection and as they are USB, they will use some cpu cycles. But they are fairly cheap and work as intended.

This solution isn't something I would recommend for gaming or any type of smooth video playback.
Like Oddba11 said, reading static text or images...okay. Anythng else...yikes.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your problem is that the Intel HD4600 supports 3 displays but that is dependant on the system as a whole
Intel® Core™ i7-4785T Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz) Product Specifications
as you will see on that link
# of Displays Supported ‡3

where if you scroll down to the quote you see this
‡ This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration.

The chipset on your AIO is Intel H81 and THAT only supoorts two displays
So what HP have done is to use the AIO monitor as one display, leaving you the HDMI for the other display

There is NO really effective way round this - as you wish to use
but use all three as an extended display rather than mirrored.
and as you say you only have ONE HDMI port on the I/O and no other graphics port.

The problem is that you want the extended display. Otherwise you could use a splitter - they will reliably provide a mirror
HDMI SPLITTER 1 in 2 out,4K HDMI SPLITTER for Dual Same: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and I agree with prunejuice the suggested USB to VGA adpater etc is unlikely to work satifactorily and IF indeed at all
Even the proper adapters which incude their own ram will most likely not work on that HP AIO for the reasons I have mentioned

Please see this
Adapter, USB 3.0 to VGA + 1-Port USB Hub - USB Video Adapters | United Kingdom (startech.com)
from the more reliable StarTech products, there are other such quality adapter suppliers

You will note the cost difference
and even StarTech with such an expensive product say
from the link above under
What is a USB video adapter, and how can I tell if it will work in my setup?
  • You may not be able to use a USB video adapter with an All-In-One computer. These computers are almost always hardwired to only accept a single display.
    [*]You should not use a USB video adapter to play video games. They are not designed for use with video games, and their performance with them is poor at best.

• and on your AIO as I mentioned above the chipset will only support TWO displays and I doubt you will get THREE extended displays

That all said of course for the extremely low cost £9.99 of the suggestion by managed.
You do not have anything to lose by trying it.

Shifter1

Thanks for the information and advice, all...much appreciated!

Looks like I will have to get an new PC if I want three screens

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well, as I said for the very small cost you have nothing to lose by trying the cheap one
I have no way of knowing, and no one will know except an HP Tech expert how that AIO is actually configured.
Good luck with it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online