1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extending WiFi Range

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sybex, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sybex

Sybex Thread Starter

Hi all
    I have set up a new network at my house which is connected to a cable modem, the cable modem goes into my Linksys WRT54G WiFi Router which works really well, but I want to extend the range of my network. I have a spare WRT54G Router and my question is does any one know if I can set up a Linksys WRT54G router as a range extender to
    another WRT54G.I know you can buy range extenders but i would like to try and save my money and use my existing equipment. I would appreciate any help into this matter, cheers...

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

3. Sybex

Sybex Thread Starter

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Did you read the whole thing? Although the model may be slightly different, it may still work with your existing equipment. I wasn't suggesting you buy anything else.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

He has an extra router, not the WAP, so I'm not sure how that link helps him.

I'd consider using DD-WRT 3rd party firmware on the spare router to extend it's capabilities. One of the features is a wireless repeater mode.

6. Sybex

Sybex Thread Starter

Cheers for that info, I have just gone onto that site dd-wrt and am about to download their software, I shall probably wait until the weekend before flashing the router, I shall let you know how I get on, cheers

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Another feature of DD-WRT is you can boost the transmit power of the router. :)

I'd read the installation instructions VERY CAREFULLY before you begin, for different hardware versions, that are sometimes quite different.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice