Extending wireless range

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thw_goalie

I'm not sure what to do here...

I already have a wireless router (D-Link DI-624) on the top floor, and my computer that connects to it wirelessly is downstairs. The signal is always low, so I want to extend the range of the wireless router upstairs.

I've tried finding out what an access point does, but I can't really figure it out. Does it work so if I plugged it in away from my wireless router, it would communicate with the router and then repeat the signal? If that's what it does then I could just plug it in between my two computer's and then my signal would be stronger, right?

Or, should I get a range extender and do what I just described?

I'm not really sure which I should be looking at...if someone could explain what an access point is actually made for that'd be great.

Sorry if this has been covered. I tried searching but couldn't find this scenario.

A Wireless Access Point is the transmitter/receiver part (the same type of device thats already built into your Wireless Router, but without the router).

So that is not what you need.

If your D-Link accepts an external antenna, then that would be one way to go, but looking at the on-line specs its not clear that it does (unless the antenna is removeable and exposes a standard socket for the cable)

Wireless range can be highly compromised by building material, as you have discovered.

thw_goalie

It is able to accept external antenna's, but I've read reviews and they've said they barely do anything. I suppose it could just be where they were placed.

Would the range extender be placed where the router is, or can it be placed wherever I want with it still communicating with the router?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Another method, one that I use, is to run a wire to a lower floor and connect another router or access point there. Since you can get really good deals on wireless routers nowadays, it's cheaper than an access point in most cases.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

TerryNet

Terry
JohnWill's way is best if you can find a way to run a cable. The answer to your original question is "range extender."

Before buying anything, try some simple things. The weakest signal is along the axis of an antenna, so, especially with upstairs/downstairs situations, changing its orientation may give you a stronger signal. Also, since there may be wiring or ductwork in the path between router and computer, try changing their positions a little (or a lot) if possible. And of course make sure you have nothing like a metal file cabinet or stack of CDs in the path.

thw_goalie

I've tried changing the orientation of both antenna's before, but it hasn't really worked.

I'll look into all your idea's, thanks for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online