1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Extension cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tumababa, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

Just a quick question. What kind of side effects could I expect from using extension cables on my monitor, mouse, and keyboard? Anything at all. If there's a SLIM chance of something happening what would it be? Thanks a lot.

2. rugrat

rugrat

Probably none. Worst case, anything connected to the extensions may be a liitle buggy. No permanent damage. How long of an extension?

Let us know

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How long are you considering? If it's only a few feet, there are many cables sold to accomplish that, and I've never had any issues with them. If you want to go a longer distance, more than 10-15 feet, I'd recommend you look at signal boosters for the attachments.

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

I know that at certain resolutions some monitor extension cables will cause the display to degrade. I recommend against using them for the monitor.

5. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

About 6 feet.

So no power issues could arise from this? Excellent. I'll tell you my real problem. Let me know what you think.

I've had this problem with seemingly random rebooting and the other day I think I figured it out.

The first scenario: My computer is working hard, across the hall my dad's computer is working hard, the dryer is on, someone is watching tv upstars, etc.....

What happens: My computer reboots after about 5 minutes of work.

The second scenario: It's really late and my computer is the only thing on in the entire house.

What happens:Nothing. I get a lot of work done late in to the night.

What are YOUR opinions?

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Sounds like a power issue to me. Do you have a good surge surpressor on your system? Have you tryed plugging your system in somewhere else in the house? The solution may be a better power supply in your system that can handle voltage fluctuations better or a UPS unit.

7. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

What's a UPS unit?

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

9. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

Would a power bar with a surge protector built into it do the job?

10. JohnWill

FWIW, unless you buy a premium surge protector, it's 90% "feelgood" and 10% protection. The MOV element in the typical surge protector deteriorates steadily, and in a couple of years, many of them no longer offer any protection. The really good surge protection has inductors and capacitors that don't fade over time, and you pay for that.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use a ups on both of my computers and have never had any rebooting, lockup issues of any kind. A reasonable ups can be had for only a few dollars more than a real good quality surge protector. In my opinion it is well worth the money.

12. JohnWill

You're right, I have three UPS systems connected to four computers here, only the occasional use systems are not on a UPS.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!