External cd writer wont burn audio

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

terryx

I have an HP Pavilion, with a 500 mhz PII, 192 megs of ram, win98se... I bought
a Philips 4x4x6 cd burner, came with ez cd creator. I get the error, scsi target error, scsi/ide error, could not perform end track, write failed evry time I try to burn audio. I can burn data no problem. I assumed I had a bad drive, (its usb by the way) so I got and hp usb cd writer, and I still cannot burn audio, get the same errors. Ive tried nero, and acoustica mp3 burner, and none will allow me to burn audio from mp3... any help would be appreciated. Support at nero, adaptec, philips and hp dont have a clue... I know more than them...

Terry

Attachments

Hi Terry – welcome to the board.

Often an error at the end of a recording is caused by auto insert becoming active. Try turning it off: Right click My Computer>Properties>Device Manager. Double click on CD-ROM and double click on your burner. Under settings “Disconnect” should probably be the only thing checked since a 4X burner most likely isn’t UDMA.

Keep in mind that if you use packet writing (anything that has you format the CD) you have to recheck auto insert notification.

You might also have more luck converting MP3s to a wave files on your computer and recording the wave files. If your burner can be set for disc at once (DAO) you should record the whole folder DAO. Make sure you close the CD or an entertainment player can’t read it.

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall DirectCD. It can have all kinds of problems being on the same computer with Nero.

Make sure your firmware and software are up to date. I presume your burner came with EZCD4, and the latest version for that is 4.05: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/ecdcupdates.jhtml If it came with version 3.5 it isn’t being supported anymore.

Phillips must be the worst manufacturer for finding firmware updates. If you can’t find them, post your model number and perhaps someone with a Phillips can direct you to the update.

terryx

I have actually tried all of the things you've mentioned. DMA is not a choice in device manager for the burner, I did uninstall all other software before trying others. Acoustica mp3 burner converts to wav before burning. Auto insert is disabled. I got the same errors with all 4 software programs I tried. I think there is something in my pc configuration that is wacky. I hooked the hp burner up to another pc and it worked fine. One thing perplexing is why I would get scsi/ide error, when my burner is usb... one comment I got was maybe I have an irq holder issue? I don't know what to try next, I've tried everything I can think of... any more suggestions?

Terry

terryx

I have the HP cd-writer 8230e hooked up now, not the Philips. Firmware version 1.3C. I checked HP website and don't see an update for that... or usb driver...

Terry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online