1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External CDR-W Driver Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjbtaylor, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

Hi, I am running XP Pro on my Laptop and Santa Klaus got me a Memorex BBQ200 External CDR-W. It says on the box that you can get the driver from their web to run it on XP, but I cannot find anything to do with it. I have it plugged into my laptop and it recognised it but it will only recognise CDR and will only record to it if I use the internal XP record wizard, This would be ok, only I want to back up and use CDR-W's.

Any help appreciated.

The website is .

Many thanks.

2. Rikku

Rikku

If you goto the site you listed and click on support, it says right there to goto the following link to solve xp issues:

roxio updates

hope that works...

3. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

have done that, I loaded easy cd creator 5 and the xp patch, but it does not recognise the cdrw part of the ext cdrw. i believe Im looking for a software driver for the cdrw, not easy cd creator

4. Rikku

Rikku

hmm, yeah, I see the confusion there on the site. It says "For Easy CD Creator updates, recorder support and updates for Windows-XP compatibility...."

Recorder Support - I take that to mean problems with Windows XP supporting your particular recorder. Although I'm not sure why Roxio would be responsible for that.

I can confirm that there is nothing mentioned about the bbq200 and winxp @ memorexlive.com or memorex.com

You could download the win2k driver and see if it works!!

bbq win2k driver

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Did you install Direct CD? That's the program that allows you to use CDRW disks like floppies.

6. slipe

slipe

If your burner came with EZCD 5 the updates are integrated. Updating EZCD 5 and the patch also update DirectCD, which is what you seem to be trying to use.

You can record to CDR or RW using the XP resident program or EZCD. If the resident XP burning program isn’t recognizing RW blanks you might have a burner problem. Try a different brand of blanks before you return it.

If you want to use the burner as a big floppy where you drag/paste to the drive in Windows Explorer you need DirectCD which should have loaded when you installed EZCD. It is packet writing software. It is an easy way to record if the data is not very important to you. If it is you will be back asking how to recover the important data you lost. DirectCD 5 at least has a recovery/explorer applet that helps you recover the data you will eventually lose. I keep seeing posts by people who can’t get DirectCD 5 to work with XP. You might have to wait for another patch.

The only drivers needed by a burner are loaded by Windows. They allow the burner to be used as a CD-ROM. The recording software is all you need otherwise. There are patches and updates, but no additional drivers. If you want to check out the burner, download the free 30 day trial of the latest Nero – it will do both mastering and packet writing to XP. http://www.nero.com/en/download.htm

7. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

I have got Nero Burners New Full program on my pc anyway and could not get it to work, so I tried ez5 and it sometimes records and then other times it doesnt, tried several disk brands cheap and expensive. I think this CD-RW is heading back to the shop.

8. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

I have got Nero Burners New Full program on my pc anyway and could not get it to work, so I tried ez5 and it sometimes records and then other times it doesnt, tried several disk brands cheap and expensive. I think this CD-RW is heading back to the shop.:confused:

9. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

on EZ5 it gives the following errors
    E80041927: TrackWriter error - ASPI Failure - [T7121]
    E80041934: TrackWriter error - Flush Failed - [T7127]
    E80041925: TrackWriter error - Command Retry Failed - [T7118]
    E80041863: CD Recorder is in process of becoming ready - [02/04/01]

On Nero Burner 5.5.5.5.1

Unspecified recorder error

10. slipe

slipe

Had you made the effort to include all of the pertinent information in your first post you would probably have saved us all a lot of time.

Go here and download both the ASPI check program and the Force ASPI. If the check ASPI says your ASPI is bad use Force ASPI to update it.
    Programs: http://www.cyrus.troy.btinternet.co.uk/downloads.htm
    Force ASPI instructions: http://www.flexion.org/aspi/

You can also use Nero’s winaspi32.dll at the Nero download site. Installation: just copy wnaspi32.dll to the %windir%\System32 folder or to your application directory (no need for reboot).

Your Nero is out of date. You might just as well get both the current Nero and the Nero ASPI at one stop: http://www.nero.com/en/download.htm

You also have to update EZCD as well as apply the patch if you haven’t done that. You still might not get DirectCD to work but InCD that loaded with Nero should allow you to packet write.

11. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

I have now Nero Burner 5.5.6.4. When I goto My Computer it reads E: CD-RW, as soon as I put a CDR or CD-RW in it becomes a CD-ROM drive thus not allowing me to do anything to it. ASPI is fully installed and working properly.

When I rang Memorex they were as much help as a chocolate teapot.

I will give it one more day before giving in and going to ME where it did work.

12. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

P.s it is still the same error as before

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice