1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external convertor or different graphics card?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by technaught, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. technaught

technaught Banned Thread Starter

I've got analog to convert to digital, AND vice versa...

I want to get some analog video movies into the pc (no current video capture).

I want also to play DVD's on the pc, and route the signal to a non-high-def TV in the living room.

Can both of these tasks be accomplished with a graphics card/hardware upgrade, or must I go with an external convertor, which seems to start at $200 for doing these two tasks...

Thanks!

2. stantley

stantley

To convert your videos to digital you need a video capture card. I have a Hauppauge Win-TV PVR-150 which I use to watch TV on my PC and convert my old VHS video to MPEG files. It has a hardware video converter so it doesn't tax your main cpu. It's a PCI card which generally work better than external USB devices.

To watch TV from your PC, you need a video card with TV out. Most video cards have s-video output that you would hook up to your TV. What kind of video card do you have now?

Another option is to get a ATI All-in-Wonder card which is a combination video and TV card.

3. technaught

Looks like I don't even have a dedicated graphics card...:confused:

Where's it listed in the device manager list? All I'm seein' is Intel(R) 82845G/GL/PE/GV Graphics Controller. That's not a dedicated card, or is it?

Does this change my options?

Near Greentree on Parkway West?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

No, that's integrated video (on-board video).

The suggestion above to use a TV card to capture the video is good, but then toy need the ability to connect the TV, so a video card with TV Out would be best.

Problem is, we do not know if your system even has a slot for a common AGP video card that supports all functions. If you can advise what motherboard (or what make and model of PC) it would help.

5. stantley

stantley

No, but close, Bethel Park.

Another option to consider is if you have a DVD burner and a DVD player hooked up to your TV, you could take the captured video, burn it to a DVD and watch it with your player. This would give you a little better quality than connecting a video card to the TV and you wouldn't need to buy a video card. But you can do more with a video card like watch a streaming video on your TV.

6. technaught

The PC is a Dellosaurus 2400 Dimension. Where's the mobo ID'ed in DevMan?

The ATI All-in-Wonder sounds simplest, to accomplish both tasks. But this reference to a common video card slot is bothersome... Especially since this machine is a bare-bones refurb/warranty replacement for a better older machine...

Is there a checklist for other sys requirements for higher function video?

Thanks!

Edit:
    Just checked the owner's manual, and it says there's 3 PCI slots. Is this the same as an AGP video slot?

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

8. stantley

stantley

You can still get a PCI video card, not as good as an AGP card but better than integrated video. Here are a few http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16814103167,N82E16814131411,N82E16814102533

I also have a dim2400 and this is about the only option. But I have dual monitors and can watch video on my TV so it works pretty good. I don't play the latest and greatest games, but I've been playing Neverwinter Nights and the graphics look real good.

9. thecoalman

thecoalman

This option would depend on if you want to extend your budget. Get a Canopus 110:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=349146&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

This device is probably the most praised of any digital converter, it just works and works very well. Simplicity at it's best, Plug and play with high quality video. It works both ways, you can send video from your HDD to the unit which will convert the digital stream to analog, hich you can hook to a TV. Either RCA or S-video. I use it all the time for previewing my edited video on TV as it gives a nearly perfect representation of what I can expect when finally burned to disc. Actually slightly better depending on the material on working with.

There are some things to consider though. This converts to DV-AVI only which comes in at about 14 Gig's per hour. It's the same format a mini-dv camera uses, you can think of it as video camera with out a lense. It's ideal if you are trying to archive old home movies as it's lightly compressed and very editor friendly. This a intermediate format though and has to be converted to MPEG if you want to put it on DVD. Also the video has to remain in DV-AVI format to send it back to the device so if you want to store a lot video you'll need a lot of HDD space.

------------------------------
    FYI if you have a digital video cam it may have pass-thru capability. It would work the same as the canopus. Not sure if there are any models that would allow you to send it directly back to analog though.

10. technaught

Will I still need to get a dedicated graphics card, to capture signal into the PC from the convertor?

Burning movies to disc is not necessarily important right now... just gotta' get the videotapes onto hard disc, and be able to play them back on TV.

11. thecoalman

thecoalman

With a few exceptions for the most part video cards have nothing to do with video except displaying it. Any moder video card or on-board graphics display is more than adequate.

That device will do it but as I said the files are quite large. The benefit, especially if they are home movies is that it's an ideal format for archiving.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!