External Disk Drive- Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Styopa

External 500GB Lacie
Windows XP

After working since receipt Ext HHD loading and initially accessible BUT once i get into drive, drive then automatically shuts down/closes and I get usual "windows has encountered a problem..". Drive then closes. Still initially accessible but same thing happens

Have tried everything i could think of:

Chkdsk - OK
anti-virused/malwared - none
uninstall/reinstall
All device managers show drive is "working properly"

:mad:

What could it be..Pls help!

Rgds
SRK

Styopa

Have tried drive on other computer and it works
What could be issue with first computer

Styopa

standard (e.g. not USB)
Seems to be problem with computer itself as this just happened with another smaller Ext HDD

Styopa

Looking more and more like a windows XP OS problem.
Any thoughts on how to repair???
l am feeling lonely .. heeellpppp

Styopa

primary HDD: external power - not USB
FYI: have three external HDD: one works (external power) and 2 do not(one external power and one USB powered)

Could it be XP or maybe even USB issue,

If the drive you are having a problem with is a USB-powered one, that may be the problem. Machines vary a great deal in how much power they deliver to USB devices, and many do not deliver enough so they use a second USB connector to increase the power supply. You should use 2 connectors if you have them available since it sounds like your drive is not getting enough power.

Styopa

No the main drive I am really having trouble with is the non-usb, HDD with external power

Move all the data you need to save from the drive. Then remove all the partitions, make new ones, and do a full format.

Styopa

Do you really think it is a HDD format problem.Especially as this particular drive works fine on other computers

It could be. But I don't understand how these drives are set up. If the externAl is not usb and has external power, how is it connected to the computer?

Styopa

sorry for confusion
HDD powered externally (e.g.not USB) but connected to computer by USB

OK.

Are the other machines that it works on also XP?

If it's not too much trouble, I'd still try removing those partitions, making new ones, and reformatting on the machine that it is having trouble with. It will be interesting to see if that process can complete without errors.

Does that XP machine have any other problems?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online