1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Display on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carrothersju, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carrothersju

carrothersju Thread Starter

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I've had to ask anything on these forums, but I'm glad they're still here when I need them! I've done some looking into the problem, and it seems like there aren't many resources on my problem.

I'm trying to connect my television to my laptop, via an SVideo connection. The problem is, my graphics card does not, and CAN NOT, have its factory/updated drivers installed. The graphics card is currently being run under "Standard VGA graphics adapter" drivers.

(The reason I can't put drivers on the card is because it's fried. I'm suffering from a burnt-out, defective NVidia GeForce 8600M GS, like many other people, and I'm mired down in court documents that I'll be using against HP in small claims court.)

Are there another set of drivers I could try that would allow my laptop to use an external display?
    Is there a way to set up an external monitor under standard VGA graphics adapter drivers?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the card is physically damaged, software can't fix it.

3. carrothersju

The card "works" when the drivers are unloaded. I'm using the laptop now to post on these forums.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You said it was "fried". What did that mean? What do you mean that it only works when drivers are "unloaded", which I also don't understand. You'll have to provide a more accurate technical description of the problem.

5. carrothersju

My apologies, I tried to make a long story short, when talking about my graphics card.

Here's the longer version:

My graphics card, an NVidia GeForce 8600M GS, isn't working when it is utilizing its factory OR most current drivers. When I install HPs drivers OR NVidia's drivers, the card will show terrible artificing (the screen is totally unreadable). The problem results from defective NVidia GPU chips in laptops (the 8600 is one of the affected cards).

The card functions when I unload its drivers, and instead use default "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" drivers. When I said it "works", I mean to say that it performs acceptably when browsing the internet, etc. I can't use graphically intensive programs using the generic drivers.

I know the card needs to be replaced, unfortunately, HP won't replace it for free, so I'm taking them to small claims court over the issue. What I'm looking for is a way to use Standard VGA Graphics Adapter drivers, or any other set of drivers that won't cause my video card to display the artificing issue, and use an external display.

I hope that gives you a little bit more background. I apologize if I sounded snarky or upset earlier, I really do appreciate the help I always find on these boards!

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Which notebook model is it? (You can find the PA or SKU number on the bottom)

7. carrothersju

It's a Pavillion dv9700. I've got the serials, etc. if you need those, too.

(HP hasn't listed this model of laptop on their site as being affected by the NVidia faulty chips, even though it is. Thus, the small claims suits, class action, etc.)

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I don't need anything else, just wanted to see the specifications.

Does your TV have a VGA connection?

Also check Device Manager to see if there is any other devices that resemble the S-Video. Sometimes there could be a seperate driver for a component (such as with the audio and HD audio that I have seen recently)

edit: also I found this: VGA - S-Video/Composite converter. I assume the VGA port is an out port so you should be able to use that.

9. carrothersju

The laptop doesn't appear to have any additional SVideo settings in the Device Manager. I checked in all of the expandable devices, and I didn't find anything relating to SVideo.

The TV doesn't have a VGA connection. It only has component, RCA, and SVideo inputs.

Don't be afraid to tell me that it can't be done without drivers, if that's the answer. This is by no means an emergency, as I'll have either a new laptop or new graphics card in a month or so (pending the legal system works swiftly... HA!)

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    hmm... swiftly and legal system.... two things that usually don't go together... :D

If it's the standard VGA driver, then most likely not... unless someone made one... driverguide.com may have something there.

Perhaps that cable i linked may be a good answer for you? It converts VGA to S-Video so you should be able to do that.

11. nimmysnv

nimmysnv

I think in this case you need to change your laptop or it can be better to talk with a tech guy who will understand your problem and try to help you.

Thanks

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice