1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External display settings change when Power options change?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by maxweenus, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxweenus

maxweenus Thread Starter

Hi everyone, thanks for looking.
    Im running into a particular problem that I cant seem to find the reasons or the settings.

I watch HBO GO (i have a valid subscription) on my Windows 7 Home laptop and use an HDMI cable to connect my TV.

Scenerio 1:
    If I leave the close the lid power option on hibernate, I must leave the laptop open and, when I connect the HDMI the TV, it becomes my monitor and I view as the monitor and watch anything full screen no problem.

Scenerio 2:
    I change the power option on the lid close to "do nothing". When the HDMI cable is hooked up, if the laptop is open it uses the laptop display, if its closed it displays through the HDMI/TV. This is perfect and exactly what I want.
    I can watch as the monitor no problem HOWEVER, if I choose full screen, I get gray borders and the "Full Screen" is not full and just centered.

I can not for the life of me figure out why and Im going crazy.
    Does anyone know why the power option would have an effect on this and what settings I could change?

Many Thanks in Advance!!!

Max

2. goofyextreme

goofyextreme

Check to see what resolution your laptop's display is at, what the external TV resolution is when you connect it to your laptop, and MAYBE what resolution the videos you're watching are. This just sounds like a resolution issue. If the TV is at a larger resolution than your laptop's resolution, change the TV's resolution to the size your laptop is at. Then try watching a video to see what happens. Hope this helps.
    -Lance

3. goofyextreme

goofyextreme

Also, are you full-screening the video before you connect the TV? If you are, make sure that you full-screen the video after you connect your laptop to your TV and close the lid of your laptop.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1043683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice