1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External drive and laptop disaster

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyodvm, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wyodvm

wyodvm Thread Starter

I recently purchased a 4GB external hard drive from Hitachi. It is a Travelstar 5400 RPM. My laptop is a Sony PCG-Z1WA running XP home. The drive worked fine for a couple of weeks. Today, I can’t access that drive. It is not even listed under my computer. When I browse and type in e: my computer freezes and the programs become none responsive. I can’t find the device on my device manager to delete and start over. I was plugging into the computer USB ports (which are low speed) but then inserted a 2.0 high speed card, to make the drive more efficient. I can’t get the drive to work whether it is plugged into the high speed ports or not. Help! Paula

2. winbob

winbob

Paula,

I guess what I would do is (via Device Mgr)disable the USB 1.1 ports, and then Remove the USB 2.0 Card (device) and reboot and let Windows find and reinstall the USB Card.

It sounds like when you added in the USB Card and tried to install it, you developed a conflict that clobbered all the USB Ports 1.1/2.0 ????

The reason I say to disable the 1.1 set is that I'm going to assume that you prefer to use the faster 2.0's, AND do not have so many devices that you can not run them off of the card's Ports.

If that is the case, then disabling the 1.1's just makes tracking down the problem easier.

3. wyodvm

wyodvm Thread Starter

Thank you, I will give it a try. That is about when things started going crazy, now that you mention it. :) Paula

4. wyodvm

wyodvm Thread Starter

Ok, I disabled those ports, but it didn’t seem to help. I wondered about a system restore? This is the error message I got. “Changes made drive(s) E:\ after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from System Restore monitoring, or was turned off or removed.” Huh? Paula :confused:

5. winbob

winbob

Paula,

You ONLY disabled the 1.1 Ports...correct?

You then REMOVED the 2.0 Ports/controller et al?

And then you rebooted?

Did Windows find the New Hardware and reinstall the 2.0 Ports....succesfully?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

7. wyodvm

wyodvm Thread Starter

Hmm, it looks like I am missing a parallel port driver. Could this be the problem?

8. winbob

winbob

Only if you are trying to use a device attached to the Parallel Port.

You seem to have ignored the last two Posts :(

9. wyodvm

wyodvm Thread Starter

I'm sorry! I forgot to mention that in my last post. I did uninstall the USB ports and the storage volume. I also booted twice. I saw the notes by the taskbar that the usb ports were seen and updated. I attached my external drive, but had the same response as before. Let me know what you think I ought to do next. Thanks bunches! Paula

10. wyodvm

wyodvm Thread Starter

Could someone give my problem another look? I'd sure appreciate it! :D

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd try connecting the drive to a different machine. Any machine running ME/2K/XP should recognize it without any additional drivers. If it works on another machine, we'll take another pass at your machine. OTOH, if it doesn't, it may have just bit the dust. :)

12. wyodvm

wyodvm Thread Starter

ok, will do. Thanks a bunch! Paula :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice