1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Drive Starts Up when installing Software

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by big-tony, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big-tony

big-tony Thread Starter

I have one of those external hard disc drivers that when idle for a few mins it powers down.

Only whenever I click on the drive letter does it power back up however this is not a problem.

I've noticed that sometimes when installing a program, that drive will power up on it's own. What could this be?
    It's not a major problem but I've been curious as to what it could be.

2. oksteve

oksteve

The software in the external drive kicks in when it recieves info from your computer.
    Like a puppy pricking up its ears when it hears something new.
    Once no further commands come along the drive settles back down again.

It can be annoying I know. You might want to check the makers manual to see if you can alter its state when you install something not going to that drive.

Also check that it does not think it is the primary drive. (computers thinking pffff as if thats ever going to happen !!) Hmmmm whats this about Skynet!!??!!:)

3. antech

antech Banned

Or maybe it can be a virus which is present on the external disk which executes itself when a prog is being installed.
    As a precaution, download SAS and MalwareBytes
    (download links present in my sign.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice