External Drive Suddenly Recognized as CD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wrisque

My external drive (WD Passport Ultra) was suddenly recognized as CD. I've been using it for years now and this is the first time this has happened. It was working just fine the previous day.The data could no longer be accessed. I read up online that I should use programs to try recovering the data. I downloaded Stellar Data Recovery but it still found no data in the drive. What else can I do?

plodr

Liz
For starters yes, try the free tool.
Note: I have never had to use a recovery tool. I make images of the computers about every 4 - 6 weeks. Most files are stored in duplicate and triplicate off the computers so if something is lost, we have several ways to get backup files.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you have a 'real' CD/DVD drive connected when you made that Disk Management screen-shot ?

I think Disk 1 is the WD external, what happens if you right-click where it says Disk 1 ?

Wrisque

For starters yes, try the free tool.
Note: I have never had to use a recovery tool. I make images of the computers about every 4 - 6 weeks. Most files are stored in duplicate and triplicate off the computers so if something is lost, we have several ways to get backup files.
The program couldn't access the files either.

Wrisque

Did you have a 'real' CD/DVD drive connected when you made that Disk Management screen-shot ?

I think Disk 1 is the WD external, what happens if you right-click where it says Disk 1 ?
Nope, my laptop doesn't have a CD player in the first place.

I actually didn't pay attention to that until now thanks. It gives me the option to initialize the disk but, whether I choose MBR or GPT, it says: "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error." What does this mean now?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It looks like the external drive has a fault. You can try opening it and getting the drive out then connecting it as an internal drive or with a Usb adapter cable. That eliminates the drive's electronics which could be causing the problem.

texasbullet

Ramon
Have you tried restoring your computer back to an earlier time when your external drive was working well.

Wrisque

It looks like the external drive has a fault. You can try opening it and getting the drive out then connecting it as an internal drive or with a Usb adapter cable. That eliminates the drive's electronics which could be causing the problem.
I'm not actually good at handling electronics so I'll see if I can get some help with it. Other than that, is there anything else I can do or is that already the most probable answer to my problem? Also, just wondering if you would know what caused this problem so I could prevent it in the future. Thank you.

Wrisque

Have you tried restoring your computer back to an earlier time when your external drive was working well.
I haven't. How do I do that? And would it really be necessary if there hadn't been any updates with my computer between the time my drive was working and was not?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online