1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Drive switch from mac to windows fail ....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MoosMel, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MoosMel

MoosMel Thread Starter

Recently switched to a windows computer and couldnt understand why my external harddrive wasn't showing up when I plugged it in. After some ill advised googling, I mistakingly created a new partition on it before figuring out it was simply a format difference after switching from my old Mac. Now I cant open my files on either of my computers....

Am I completely screwed? Can I get my files back?

Any help is much appreciated!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Did you create the new partition while running Windows ? Please describe exactly what you did to create it.

3. MoosMel

MoosMel Thread Starter

Yes, it was on windows. In disk management It showed as unallocated space, so I selected New Simple Volume, and went through the wizard to create a new partition. I didnt format it, but it did get it to show up as a D: drive. When plugging it in to my mac it now says it needs to be formatted.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Since you created a new partition on the drive I'm afraid that all data is lost. You may be able to send it to a professional recovery service and see if they can recover anything. Be advised that such a service can be very expensive.

There are software out there, at least for PC, that claim to be able to recover deleted partitions. But if such a thing exists for Mac and if they work I don't know.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice