External Drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

applecrisp

Hey my Imac just died so im forced to use my Peecee how many external drives can I have hooked up via firewire? is there a limit? besides the firewire limit of like 49 or whatever

Wouldn't it just be home many ports as to how many devices you can physically hook up?

I believe that 16 can be daisy-chained, but I don't know what that does to the transfer rate. If they're bus-powered, I wouldn't chain them at all--too much ac draw on the 1394 bus...My opinion, not proven...

USB 2.0 is faster (480 Mbps) than firewire (400)...Welcome to our world.:D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, while the bit rate of USB is indeed faster than Firewire, the reality is that USB connected hard disks normally run around 20mbyte/sec transfer rates and Firewire connected hard disks will normally do around 30mbyte/sec transfer rates. The 800mbit version of Firewire, IEEE-1394B, is found on a few newer Firewire drives, but obviously your system has to also support the new standard.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online