1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External enclosure in Win7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nickolodeon, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nickolodeon

Nickolodeon Thread Starter

Hi.
    I just bought a new external enclosure IDE/SATA with 3.5" form-factor (Grand K325). However my windows 7 system doesn't seem to support it properly. When I insert IDE hdd into enclosure, OS does not show it in my computer. I can see it in Disk Managment, but it's marked as dynamic and will not inititlize (trying to initialize, for 1 disk it says "Drive not ready", for he second one it offers to convert disk to basic warning me that all files will be lost, which is unacceptable, b/c I need them).
    Any clues?
    P.S. Hooking to internal IDE wires disks work OK.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You disk MUST be set/jumpered as MASTER in a USB caddy.

3. Nickolodeon

Thank you very much, it worked for the first one. Now gonna check the other one.

4. Nickolodeon

By the way, is there a difference in what way I put hdd drive into closure? I mean, the perforations for screws are obvious, but as to SATA drive the connectors seem to need to be twisted all around and enclosure barely closes.

5. Nickolodeon

The second disk is not showing up in my computer.
    Device manager says it is a dyanmic disk and it's invalid. Context menu offers to convert to basic disk, reactivate disk (which in turn says windows can't do it on invalid disk pack), offline and properties. What the...?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice