1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external GPU to laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nishadul, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nishadul

Nishadul Thread Starter

i use DELL LATITUDE E7240
    4gb ram, 128gb ssd , core i5 5th gen

and im a gamer .
    but this set up gives me soo little FPS that i can barely handle the recoil of guns .

on the back of the MOBO , i saw 2 sata slot kindda thingy (not a tech guy ) .
    in one , ssd was connected and the other one were i was suppose to connect WWAN card is empty .
    and yeah come to think of it , there was another slot were wifi module was connected to ..hmmm ?

so , im kinda thinking that i would get an cheap chinese GPU slot from aliexpress and gonna connect it to one of the sata port .

my old PC's PSU is not in use so i can take that from there ..

so , is it gonna work ?? anyone got any experience ??

2. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    I'm not familiar with external GPU's, however I do know that a lot of laptops won't accept them. The bigger problem you have is everything else, that CPU you have is a 1.9ghz (2.9 turbo) dual core...definitely not for gaming, your RAM is too low, need at least 8GB. With those 2 things I honestly wouldn't worry about an eGPU, I'd work on getting another computer to game on, preferably a desktop.

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

4. Nishadul

Nishadul Thread Starter

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

(y) You're welcome.

6. Nishadul

Nishadul Thread Starter

can you tell me what kind of a port is this ? the empty one . can i connect a egpu to it ??

and about the clock and stuff , i can actucally upgrade ram to 8 gb ..bt the main thing is im gonna run a gtx 1030 just to get some good frame rate in Black Squad game , which is a low demanding game .
    so , i dnt think cpu will bottle neck that much !! (confused ) will it ? like , can i get 60-70 fps atleast ? at very low settings

Attached Files:

7. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    That is a mSATA port, for mSATA based SSD's, network, etc cards. If you can find an adapter then you can try, probably wouldn't recognize it though as it's not designed for that.....but that would probably ultimately be up to Windows 10.

But 60-70 FPS on a GT1030 really? I saw online where a desktop with a GT1030 barely averaged 60 on Low settings, what's the point on low settings and a tiny screen. It just seems you'll be throwing money at something that will never give you the performance you're wanting.....that ultrabook you have was never intended for gaming of any kind.

8. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    There is no way to add an external video card into your laptop. The video card requires more power which you can't upgrade to your laptop.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice