1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard disk ac adapter problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NikoBelic, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NikoBelic

NikoBelic Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a seagate 2tb external hard disk. Recently it refused to respond and I fugured out that it was the power cord that was causing all the problems.so i bought a replacement-a chinese one. From the tech shop, I tested the ac adapter and it worked.but as soon as i brought it into my house, it didnt work. there was no sound and the fuse is fine.the ac adapter is 12v 3A.I have since bought a second one which had the same effect.I need some help here.what could the problem be?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The hard drive or its enclosure.

3. NikoBelic

NikoBelic Thread Starter

the ac adapter.sorry the problem is more of the ac adapter because up to now I'm assuming that my hard disk still works.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The Problem could be ... "The Hard Drive or the Enclosure" ... Where the power brick is a part of the enclosure.
    The only way you can find out is to put the HDD in another enclosure.

5. NikoBelic

NikoBelic Thread Starter

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

How do you know that it's just the power adapter that quits working at your house ???
    You got a Voltmeter ???

7. NikoBelic

NikoBelic Thread Starter

Before I came home I tested the AC adapter with my hard disk and it was working fine.It has happened twice with two different ac adapters. No, i dont have a voltmeter.Do i need it?

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Same computer away or at home ???

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

This is a problem when you don’t make your own externals by getting an enclosure and a HDD.
    You have to rip the external apart to get to the HDD to test it .. Or replace the enclosure.
    This would void any warranty … And if you sent the external back for the warranty, you’ll probably loose all the data in it.

Is it still in Warranty ??? ... Do you have a copy of the contents ???

10. NikoBelic

NikoBelic Thread Starter

I dont know any better way to put it, but the hard disk is 100% fine.that I'm sure of.Its the AC adapters that I keep replacing that keep dissapointing me, and I cant get hold of another original adapter like the one i used before.not in the market here.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Does the external have an On > Off power switch ....
    Or is it one of those that's supposed to Automatically know what you want to do ???

12. NikoBelic

NikoBelic Thread Starter

No.It doesn have an on off switch.it goes on automatically.and if it is connected but inactive for a while it will turn to sleep mode.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice