1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard disk case misery...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chredge, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi,

Hope one of you can help.

I recently bought a hard drive case as I had two hard drives (an old PC one and a old PS3 one)that I wasn't using and thought that they may come in useful for storage. The first hard drive (an old PC hard drive) was fine and worked for a short while until my PC (and my sons PC) stopped recognising it was plugged in. I then exchanged that hard drive for the other spare that I had. This only worked for an hour-or-so until that 'died'.

I now seem to have two dead hard drives within a short space of time that both used the same external case to connect to my PC. Woould it be possible that the case I'm using could be killing the drives? The case uses a 'Y' lead and I have tried the single connection and both at the same time but the hard drivres aren't detected by my PC.

What would my options be here?

Cheesr,

C h r e d g e

2. Megabite

Megabite

Have you tried hooking Hard drive direct to the PC if possible?

3. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

No I haven't tried hooking it up directly with the PC as it would require lots of unscrewing things and taking my PC apart. I suppose it would be the last thing I attempt to try and diagnose the problem if it came to it.

Cheers,

C h r e d g e

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice