Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External Hard Disk Drive won't work

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jazz3000 
#1 ·
I have a Philips External Hard Disk Drive (SPD5420/SPD5430) that recently quit working. I had used it for the majority of the day then all of a sudden the little purple light turned off. I have plugged it into other drives and it still wont work. When plugged into my pc, it says "please insert disk into drive F." I've tried changing the path and that won't work either. Anyone know if i can possibly recover my files from this drive?
Thanks a bunch!

#2 ·
Will the drive its self come out of the enclosure it's in and can it be hooked up to an IDE cable inside your system? Sometimes it's the enclosure and not the HD itself that causes an issue. If you can check the HD to make certain it's the problem and not the enclosure you would be able to determine if you could transfer data in this way. If it's the HD I know you can pay to have the data transferred but I understand it's pretty expensive. I'm sure there are other ways as well but not those options are not within my skills. Let us know...Jazz

#3 ·
Ooops sorry, I should be more specific. It's a small 12GB Hard Drive with a fold out USB connector. Only other cable that came with it is the USB extension cable. I also heard it was very expensive. Sounds like i'm outta luck. :(

Appreciate the help Jazz!

#4 ·
You might still be able to get the drive out of the case. If it is a small drive, an adapter to connect it to an internal IDE connection inside your machine is around $5.

#5 ·
Normally I would expect the hard disk, being a well made precision intrument grade, will last longer than the electronic components of the hard disk enclosure. Typically in UK we could buy an 3.5" external enclosure for GBP 15 and the one for 2.5" GBP 10. A hard disk costs easily several times more.

Therefore I expect if you replace the external enclosure your hard disk should work as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.