1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sunriseexpress, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunriseexpress

sunriseexpress Thread Starter

hi everyone i from mumbai. i have a 500 gb external hard disk and it fell from my hand . after which its not functioning but its in ok condition. as i connect it tells me to format it. does formatting delete all my stored information. is there anty way i can recover my files and then format it, (if formatting deletes all files):confused:

2. c130

c130

Formatting doesn't erase data, it just marks the data as overwriteable - for example, that's how police are able to recover data from formatted hard drives.

Get some data recovery software (try this one, it's free - http://www.powerdatarecovery.com) and you may be able to get your files back, if the drive hasn't been physically damaged. Just be sure not to use the drive for anything before you've recovered everything you can - copying files or installing programs on the drive will overwrite your precious data and destroy it forever.

If you do manage to recover what was on the drive, treat the drive as compromised - because it was dropped it's likely to fail again so don't use it for anything you don't want to lose. Replace it if you can.

3. AtlasG

AtlasG Banned

Hi Mumbai! What falls from your hand falls to the sand. :D The drive is damaged. There's probably a data recover place there. You need to find someone to open the drive in a clean room and try to get the data off the platters.

4. c130

c130

And by "clean room" that means dedicated sterile room with airlock, air filters and anti-static suits & masks. Accessing the platters is a last resort.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    And the cost of such recovery can be extremely expensive, and there is no guaranty of success.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, if the files are important to you, then you should have at least two copies. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

First thing I would do would be to open the external case and pull the drive, connect it as an internal drive. This will tell you if it is the drive itself that has the problem OR if you damaged the enclosures' electronics.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice