1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by satch52, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. satch52

satch52 Thread Starter

I have a Western Digital external hard disk on USB. The instructions say I should stop it when closing down pc but when I select it on remove hardware icon it just says 'this device cannot be stopped now, try later' even though I have no programs open that are using the disc. Will it cause damage if I leave it on and just close down. Have done this a couple of times but wonder if I will damage it.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i leave mine (i have two 300GB HDD and a small 2.5 120GB HDD portable) connected untill I shut down the PC, I have heard of problems with corruption when removing HDD -

sometimes - it does stop and allow me to remove

i'm no expert here - so await further answers

just my 2p worth

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you have acronis true image or norton goback installed?

FWIW the "safely remove hardware" only flushes the cache. You can disconnect a usb device without damage to the device or your system without using the safely remove icon.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    - thats worth knowing - thanks, will save me a lot of time

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you check the disk properties in Device Manager, you can configure them for performance or quick removal. Quick Removal means that whenever the activity ceases, you can remove the device, no caching is done to the external drive. This setting is remembered for devices that have been previously connected.

Attached Files:

• usb.jpg
      usb.jpg
      File size:
      43.7 KB
      Views:
  6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do i need the usb drive connected to do this - or can I preselct - couldnot find in device manager

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need the drive connected, then you find it's tab under Disks and this option will appear. Remember, you're setting this option in a per/drive basis.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/555386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice