1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klausfunk, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klausfunk

klausfunk Thread Starter

Hello.

I need to use an external HDD to record and edit audio. So it needs to be 3-4TB.

What I need to know is will it be fast enough?

I think it needs to be USB 3.0 and 7200rpm but I am not sure.
    Most external drives seem to be 5400rpm. :confused:

Can anyone help and recommend a suitable such drive £100-£150?

Thanks

Also - I generally only record 2 tracks at once max 24bit/44.1khz and playback no more than 16.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    A few observations: 1) USB3 or eSATA if you need performance. 2) external drives are 5400rpm or slower because the faster the drive, the more heat that is created. Heat is a major cause of failure in external drives. They are also meant to be a transportable storage medium, not really for full time use. If you need full time access, you should use internal drives. 3) your budget is too low, especially for drives that size. Typical cost here in the US, is $100-150 for a 2TB model.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Oddba11 has it nailed; external drives are not made for continuous duty. They are designed to switch ON and make a backup and then OFF. The exception to this is an external with a cooling fan however almost no assembled external has a cooling fan.

What you need is a NAS or network attached storage. These are made for continuous use and they are pretty fast [as long as your network is fast]
    Here is an example of a cheaper NAS;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165447

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. ChumCaster

ChumCaster Banned

First off, I'm not sure I understand the focus on a external drive for editing. It would be a lot simpler to use an internal drive for editing, and reserve an external drive for backup. Even if there are hardware constraints that preclude adding an additional internal drive, some provision still needs to be made for backup, right? Is this a laptop?

6. klausfunk

klausfunk Thread Starter

Hey thank you for the answers everyone.
    Sorry yes this is a laptop. So I am restricted somewhat.
    I have 120gb SDD internal for system drive.
    I could swap out the CD drive, add another internal, but I think I will need the CD in future.

I do not need full time access. I would imagine the audio is buffered in the RAM once recorded?
    I would need access when the audio is being recorded, but only briefly for a couple of minutes.

USB 3.0 3TB are currently around £100-£150 here in UK.

7. Simba7

Simba7

Why not just get a bigger internal hard drive? I would suggest a WD Black 750GB or a Momentus XT 750GB.

8. klausfunk

klausfunk Thread Starter

I ideally wanted to keep the system on SSD and separate from OS. But now looking at the Momentus XT 750GB and I am very tempted!

9. ChumCaster

ChumCaster Banned

If you can replace, the internal optical drive with an internal HDD, I think you'll get better performance, but you'll still need to consider the backup issue, so while an external DVD and backup drive aren't going to save you any money, I don't think you would want to lose a couple of TB of data. I also like 5.25" drives and fan-cooled external enclosures much more than the currently fashionable 2.5" external drives, but you do need an AC power source for the 5.25" drives and the fan in the enclosure, so they aren't as portable as the 2.5" drives. Some laptops also give you the option of adding a second internal HDD.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice