1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saunders, Aug 12, 2018 at 5:36 PM.

1. Saunders

Saunders Thread Starter

I need to get rid of some of my computers/laptops and want to get a hard drive to use both as back up and also to consolidate all my old files to a single drive. I have an old Dell Desktop with a legacy USB (1.0?), Windows XP, and a Linux partition and was wondering what would be the best hard drive to get since they all seem to use 3.0 now.

Also, once I have the hard drive, what would be the best way to consolidate given the USB issue?

I also have a zip drive, and two unused laptops (I'm going to convert one to a linux machine.) My current laptop is an Acer Aspire V3-571G-6407, which will need the regular backup.

I'm not able to use sysinfo.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I like to build my own external HDDs
    I like these USB3 Enclosures .... (Backwards Compatible)
    Then I get a high quality HDD, Western Digital Black Series (with a 5yr warranty)

You don't know what quality you get in pre-made off-the-shelf externals.

Single drive ???? ... I'd get at least two.
    Any file you don't care about loosing, is a file you only have one copy of.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 6:51 PM
  3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0 and 1.0; it will just be slower.

What Dell laptop is it ? Post the service tag if it's visible on the bottom or in the bios.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice