1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive and Vista (this will test you)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nathane, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathane

nathane Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I recently installed Vista after having my machine running XP.

I have 2 WD 500gb drives that I have both put into external enclosures (both with 1 500gb partition each).

BOTH drives worked fine in XP. I stress this!

Now, here is the issue. One of the drives works fine. The other drive is showing up in Computer as "Local Disk" but does not recognise any partitions. In hard disk managment it says that the disk is in raw format. I took the drive into my friends computer (who is running XP) and the drive is still fine. Every file there and completely writable.

I read an article the following:

"The solution to this annoying problem (I had it on one PC), seems to be to locate and delete the file INFCACHE.1, which may be corrupted and causing the problem. To delete this file, you will first have to modify its permissions so the users group can access it (right-click on the
    file->Properties->Security). INFCACHE.1 file. It's located at C:\Windows\inf (scroll down to the file). (Note: to see INFCACHE.1, you must set Windows Explorer to display hidden and system files) "

So i tried that, and it did nothing. I have installed all updates, nothing.

To make matters worse! I thought a reinstall of the generic driver would be enough to kick start the new driver cache. NOW when i plug the drive in, i get "Windows needs a driver to install this hardware" FOR AN EXTERNAL HDD, MAN WHATS WRONG!!! Vista looks online for the driver but doesn't find anything. I even tried to manuely locate the driver by selecting the default driver that windows was using for my second external harddrive (they are exactly the same device afterall...) Still nothing.

I know that once I can actualy install the driver I could just format the drive in vista , but i'm not going to do that. It is completly full, to do that I would need another drive to backup onto.

I thought I could try to do a partition recovery on the drive but again, I really do NOT want to since there is still a good chance that this will loose my data.

So... Thoughts..

I think this will test alot of us here :(

Nath

2. nathane

nathane Thread Starter

Ok , i got the drive installed properly again. So I am back to where I started.

Here is a interesting update, I installed [email protected] Partition Recovery to take a look at the drive. The program doesn't find anything wrong with the drive. In fact, it shows that the drive does have the partition and that there is nothing wrong with it. So I can't even "restore" the partition because the recovery software doesn't see the drive the same way that Vista does (and the drive letters are the same, so active partition reports, "I:\ (Data Backup)" and Windows reports "I:\ Local Disk RAW Format".

Any thoughts from anybody this time....

3. nathane

nathane Thread Starter

Ok, so I guess nobody knows how to fix this. Has anybody even seen this happen before and what were circumstances (Any information might help me work out what is wrong with this system).

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/692886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice