1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buf, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

I have an extra Maxtor 30GB HDD and am considering using it in a case but that is dependent upon what I may learn here.
    My AMD system is described below. I think I may want to use this as an additional means of a backup for my PC.
    I am hoping to see some replies giving the pros/cons and the type case and link to it that I may consider buying.
    As usual, TIA.
    Happy and SAFE July 4th to all.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Does that K7 mobo have USB2.0 ports?

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

I meant to say in my post that I do not know if I have 2.0 or 1.1 but since the PC is more than a year old I imagine I have 1.1. I did not find an answer using Lavaly's Everest.
    I am considering getting a later model PC that will be 2.0.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I just picked up a pair of these USB 2.0 / Firewire 3.5" External Case and they work very nice. I have a 250gig and a 160gig drive in them, and I'm currently using the Firewire interface, it's 50% faster and much lower processor overhead during transfers.

I get a 30mb/sec steady transfer rate using DIskSpeed32 to check, and the USB interface gets 20mb/sec. The USB results match up with all the other USB cases I have, a total of six others.

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks for your post. I am happy to learn that you like the case you have. NewEgg is a good source to buy from. Does your case, or do any or all cases, have a fan? I have never seen one but I would think that if the drive runs for some period of time that heat could be a factor. Also, is yours backward compatible with USB 1.1? Even if it is, I would further think that the slowness at 1.1 would be not be a welcome event.
    BTW, I would not be interested in having the option to temporarily install the case/drive in the PC tower so I would not need that piece of hardware.

7. Cosmic

Cosmic

I have that same BYTECC enclosure. Works good. Not quite the same model.

All those external hard drive enclosures should have fans, most will work on USB 1. Got to check to make sure. Some lash ups have trouble reading the larger capacity drives. In your case that shouldn't be problem should work great.

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

The one I have does not have a fan . . it is all aluminum so disapates heat pretty good . . it is backwards compatible with 1.0 , but butt slow!

wrs

9. buf

buf Thread Starter

Good responses folks and I greatly appreciate each reply. I will give more consideration to getting a case for a 2.0 USB and should I not buy a newer PC, at least it will be backward compatible with 1.1. But butt slow as someone put it.
    BTW, is it safe for me to assume that the HDD would simply plug into a built in plug like an IDE cable would and then a USB cable would be used to make the connection to the PC?! I think I had better go Google for some info about this so that I will know for myself.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

It does indeed plug into a IDE adaptor inside the case, which in turn is connected to the USB cable that plugs into the pc

Have fun

11. buf

buf Thread Starter

simpswr, thanks for verifying my suspicions. I have not gotten to Google yet but I don't need to now.

12. JohnWill

The good thing about the USB external cases is you don't have to worry about BIOS disk capacity limitations. The drivers for the external disks handle the disk access, and they're immune from the limitation. I've connected my 200gig USB 2.0 drive to an old machine with a BIOS that can only handle 32gig disks, no problem accessing it at all.

13. buf

buf Thread Starter

This venture into using a case with a HDD in it is getting more and more exciting. Seems to me that the pluses far outweight any negatives that I have seen to this point. Have to wonder why we even have internal HDDs; except additional storage, of course. (Just a joke folks)
    Seriously though, creating the OS, documents, etc. backup on an external HDD seems to be the better way for one to consider using. I think I would still burn to CD a backup--as an additional backup. Very interesting info/responses. Thank you for all of those who are, and might be, interested.
    All negatives will also be appreciated, of course.

14. JohnWill

Well, the external drive with no backup is not more secure than an internal drive with no backup, think about it. :D

I use my externals as backup for various machines on the network, and I have one with a ton of CD images that I use to emulate a CD so I don't have to swap CD disks around.

15. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks johnwill. An invaluable statement and one that I totally agree with in every way. Think that is what I was trying to say---to some degree, when I mentioned the CD burning. I have a second HDD in my computer now and on it is a backup of everything on my primary HDD and "that" backup in on CDs also. Overkill?!! Well not if I should need it. And there is a day in the future that I will need the backup.
    Keep up your good work on this board cause I, for one, am indebted to you and others for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/245698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice