External hard drive causes Win7 to hang on shut down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BG-0

Hello, having a recurring issue with this and wondering if anyone has any possible solutions.
Soo. Anytime I have my external hard drive (2 TB Seagate Expansion) plugged into my computer (any USB port) and I try to shut down, it comes alive from sleep after being unused and spins up while Windows is in the blue backgrounded screen that says "Shutting down" and it just completely stops the process of shutting down, leaving it there for minutes and possibly more (can't remember how long at the longest, been so long since I left it plugged before shutting down and I usually just unpower the drive if it hangs).
What causes Windows to randomly start accessing the drive? It only has my movies and music and images and manual backups, so no program actually needs those files and at that phase with the shutting down screen, no other program should be running but the OS itself. (somewhere else it was suggested that any programs still running would cause the drive to spin up when trying to close)

Here's my basic system info from the TSG info tool
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 12279 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 114370 MB, Free - 46618 MB; E: Total - 194558 MB, Free - 42107 MB; F: Total - 759306 MB, Free - 37164 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., SABERTOOTH X58
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled
Also, I don't have avast! anymore, swapped for MSE... Why does TSG SysInfo think I still run avast? :eek:

Have you had any issue with this drive, accessing data, backups?

Buy the way, how is it possible that you Joined this site on Dec 1969 How Old Are You :confused: :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online