1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive crashed, How to recover data?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ramit_garg, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ramit_garg

ramit_garg Thread Starter

Problem:--- When I connect my external USB 3.0 Western digital hard disk to my system, system is hanged. Showing that some external source is added to the system( USB icon in Tray icon ) but not able to see in the system.

Device manager recognizes it as a USB device under Hard Disk, but disk management calls it unknown and not initialized.
    No drive letter is shown under my computer. There is no Symptoms like any extra sound, or spinning down, it is showing normal behavior.

Goal: Try to recover my jpgs, doc, and txt files.
    It had an NTFS partition and no special software was used to maintain the external hard drive, nor was an operating system installed on it. Just basic files.If it matters, My computer is a windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit DELL laptop.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If it's under warranty, have it replaced.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Continuing further will VOID your warranty.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

It's possible the enclosure is faulty and the HDD is still fine. In which case, you can remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it internally or via an external adapter or another external enclosure.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you remove it from the case, however, the warranty will no longer replace the drive.

But what exactly happens? You say that it "hangs" and then mention other things that you could not have found out if it hung. So what is really happeneing when you plug it in? Does it appear in Device Manager?

4. ramit_garg

Thanks guys for replying...
    Elvandil, when I connect the hard disk to the pc....I can see that external USB is added by looking in the tray icon ( USB tray icon).. However I try to open my computer, the hard disk icon is not displayed. and my system is hanged...
    Hard disk is under warranty, I will replace it but I want to recover my data specially my documents so I need the solution for recovering my data.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the drive isn't properly recognized or accessible, there isn't a way of retrieving the data. Obviously any attempt to read the drive is failing (thus Windows hanging)...so there is no way of reading the drive to get the data.

6. ramit_garg

Hi Oddba11...When I used the recovery data software(Checked online available software) then my hard disk is shown in the system. and I tried to copy the data however still some data are unable to copy because valid location id is not found for some data..:(....

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like it worked long enough to retrieve some of the data. The data that couldn't be retrieved is likely because of the HDD fault. If that part of the disk cannot be accessed or the file information is missing, there isn't a way of retrieving the data.

You could try a different software.

And this should be a warning to always have a BACKUP copy (preferably more than one copy) of any important data. Live and learn.

8. ramit_garg

yes...very true....this is my 1st time and now I will remember it..:)..
    Thanks for your suggestion.,,:)..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice