1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive differences

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cworet25, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cworet25

cworet25 Thread Starter

I am a bit of a novice on computers. Is there a difference in external hard drives.
    My understanding is that there are differnt types of drives, one that you use as a drag and drop to load files just as the hdd in the computer or on a flash drive, another that is a full backup drive that backs up all the programs on the compute but you must have that specific computer to access the data.

I also understand there is a network drive that you attach to the router so you can access it from each computer. But do I need to do something different due to the address of the drive thru the router.
    There are two W7 and one Vista systems that are in use.

Thanks for your help

2. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

The difference is just the speed/reliability/cost of the drive, and the way it connects (most external drives are USB). You can use a drive for many uses including storing files and backups. There aren't different "types" in that sense. A drive can be set up in different ways to do the things you suggested.

I'm unfamiliar with router drives but my guess it will be accessible on \\192.168.X.1\, the network address of the router. If you type that into Windows Explorer you will probably end up "seeing" the drive, though it will be configurable on the router settings page. You can then "Map" it so it appears as a local drive on all computers. Wait for somebody else to confirm this though because as I said, I've not really used/heard much about them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice