1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive disconnecting when scanned by media server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lackyb, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lackyb

lackyb Thread Starter

I have a problem with a previously perfectly functioning external hard drive which is now disconnecting and reconnecting (ie visible in my computer then disappearing) every time it is scanned for content by a media server program meaning that the software doesn't find any content rendering it useless.

I have Vista Home premium 32 and the the drive is a standard 3.5" Freecom 500Gb externally powered and connected via USB 2.0.

I was previously running Twonkymedia with it and had no problems whatsoever until I got frustrated with Twonky's lack of support for Matroska containers and decided to try a few other servers and the hard drive suddenly behaved like this in exactly the same way with all of them! Even when I tried re-installing Twonky.

I don't know what's changed I've tried sharing/un-sharing the drive, no difference. I don't have any problems viewing/editing/copying to and from the drive when a media server is not running.

Please help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice