1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive & Disk Imaging basics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hambone, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hambone

hambone Thread Starter

I have a Dell Vostro laptop running Windows XP Home SP/3. I use it for business (ACT database, Oulook, Word, XL, web surfing) and only a little personal use. It is not loaded with junk and I intentionally keep it very lean/clean to minimize possibility of tech headaches that could get in the way of business. I backup data to a flash drive, but having had a hard drive crash several years ago know that data back-up is but a fraction of the issue. The time it takes to reload software is a pain. So, having read many posts here am preparing to buy an external hard drive for back up. I have also read about imaging and that I can recreate my environment via that path. All that sounds excellent, except I don't know how to create a boot disk, what drive to buy, what software to use for the imaging piece, and how to keep it all VERY simple. By the way, I boubght this laptop in Dec. 2007 and have only used 20GB of a 100GB hard drive. That may go up as we bought a new camera that has digital video and I will be using the hard drive to store those images as well. Suggestions, step-by-step stuff, warnings, etc. would all be a tremendous help.

THANKS!!!

2. TekTime

TekTime

I would recommend that you purchase "Acronis True Image Home 2010."
    It is a very user friendly program that is pretty simple to use for someone not experienced in backup and imaging. You could create an image of your hard drive (cloning) on a regular basis (weekly etc), and use that image (ISO) to restore your hard drive back to the "original" condition in case of a disaster. You'll only need a second drive with ample space to save the image to.

It's also great for when you decide that you want to increase your disk space by purchasing a bigger hard drive.

If you need any assistance using it, I'm sure we could assist you here. Once you have made a couple of images of your hard drive, you will get the hang of it!

I have included a link to the PDF manual....best regards!

http://s4u.download.acronis.com/sl/...8TM(sEorhYygM6g/p/pdf/TrueImage10.0_ug.en.pdf

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice