External Hard Drive Failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SazzyUK

I've had a WD My Book external hard drive for a few years now and yesterday it just suddenly stopped working. It would turn on and off. I removed the casing and connected the hard drive internally to my computer and it was working fine. Now it no longer shows up. It's not in disk management either or the BIOS. Is there anything else I could try so I can get files off of it?

dustyjay

Jay
Updating the BIOS is not a good idea. Especially when the problem could very well be that the hard drive has failed. External drives usually fail at higher rates than the internal drives do. From the moment you use any hard drive it is on it's way to failing, question is how long it will last before then. The way to check if it is the drive that has failed is to install it into another computer to see if it is recognized and operates.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online