1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive files Disappear!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ginjl113, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginjl113

Ginjl113 Thread Starter

Alright where to start. I store all my movies, music and all other important files on my external hard drive, which sits in an enclosure which is connected to the PC using the USB ports. About a week or two ago, my movies folder (containing only avi. files) came up as empty. It had almost 50 some GB of movies stored. I know for a fact that they were not deleted by any human. Now the folder being empty isn't the weirdest thing, its the fact that any avi. file I put in there disappears and the folder will say thats it's empty, but if I drag the file into the folder again it says that a file with that name already exists. I have all hidden files shown including the protected OP system files and still it comes up as empty. Now I can put text files in the folder and that will show up, and the folder registers the file being there. But any avi. file just don't exist according to the folder. The folder being messed up I can get over even though the files I'd like to get back, but I can't even delete the folder. It tells me the folder cant be deleted because it isn't empty. I've tried running CHKDSK to atleast fix the deleting the folder problem but even that didn't work. Well thats pretty much my situation, Please Help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice