1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved External Hard Drive Files Not Opening

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DonnyNN, May 29, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. DonnyNN

DonnyNN Thread Starter

Hello, everyone. I recently bought a new laptop, Dell G3, and am trying to open files on an external hard drive from my old laptop hard drive, Acer. The drive shows up in my drive list but when I click on the User folders they will not open. Is there a way to get access to these folders since this is where all of my documents are located? I have no clue what else to do to get my documents. I am new here and not a computer person so I do not know how much info you will need to help with this. Please let me know if you need more info. I thank you in advance for any help with this. :)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi DonnyNN, and welcome to TSG.

Are you able to right click on the drive in Windows Explorer and view its properties?

Exactly what happens when you double click on a folder on the drive?

Are we safe to assume you are running Windows 10?

3. DonnyNN

DonnyNN Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. Yes, I am running Windows 10. When I double click on the folder I want in the User folder, it looks like it is about to do something and the drive light flashes and the file folder has that colored bar that looks like it is downloading something. However, it does this for a long time, 2-3 hours, and nothing seems to happen.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you able to right click and view the properties of the hard drive?

Is the drive the internal system drive from your old laptop that you put into an external enclosure? Did you have any kind of password protection for the Windows user account or for any of the folders and what version of Windows is in the drive?

If the drive is from a big name manufacturer, like Western Digital, see if their website offers a download of diagnostics utilities for their products?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. DonnyNN

DonnyNN Thread Starter

Hi. Yes I am able to view the properties of the hard drive. Yes I put my old Acer laptop hard drive into an external hard drive. The Acer was using Windows 8.1 and it is password protected. My new laptop is using Windows 10. I am working on getting access to the drive as managed suggested. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for you help!!

7. DonnyNN

DonnyNN Thread Starter

Thank you, Managed. I am working on getting permission to access this folder as we speak. I am also changing the ownership to me, my new laptop. I will let you know how it goes. It is taking some time. Thank you again!! I will definitely be coming to this site for help.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome. I suspect that following managed suggestion will resolve your problem. I went through a similar situation when I pulled the system hard drive from an old desktop running Windows 7 and use it as a secondary drive on a newer desktop running Windows 10. In my case, I first got an error message saying I did not have permission to access the user folders.

9. DonnyNN

DonnyNN Thread Starter

Hi, Managed. I have followed these instructions 2 times now and each time it looks like the data in the computer is changing ownership-the computer shows a small window with file names and info flashing/moving but it does this for hours. Yesterday I let it run on its own for over 8 hours and it was still changing ownership. Pardon me, I do not know tech language. I am running it again today for the 3rd time and it is still doing the same thing. The external hard drive light is flashing as if it is working and I hear it making quiet noises as is my laptop. Does this make sense? Is there something I am missing? Is there something else I need to do to get this ownership changed? Thanks.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Might be time to try the utilities I mentioned in my Post #4 and test the external hard drive. I am suspecting corrupted sectors on the drive.

11. DonnyNN

DonnyNN Thread Starter

Hey cwwozniak, I went to Seagate's website and downloaded a diagnostic tool and and ran the test on the drive and it says my external hard drive is working at 100%. I ran it 2X's to make sure. Any other ideas? Thanks.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Only other thing that comes to mind is to right click on the drive and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu. The choose the"Tools" tab and click on "Check" in the Error Checking section. I can't see Windows taking over 8 hours to change the accessibility settings for files and I suspect damaged sectors or corrupted data making the process get lost.

13. DonnyNN

DonnyNN Thread Starter

Thanks for the info but it did not work. If I am able to get my old laptop to turn on, is there a way to change the permissions or do something to the hard drive so that when I connect the old hard drive to my new laptop I can access it more easily? Change permissions? Update the old laptop to Windows 10? (only problem with this is when I update to 10 the old laptop loses internet connection). Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you again for all the suggestions and help.

14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you are able to get the drive to work in the original laptop with its current version of Windows and can open folders and files with no problems, then remove all passwords for all users on the computer. Then try accessing the drive in the new computer.

15. DonnyNN

DonnyNN Thread Starter

OK. Thank you. I will see if I can do this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice