1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard drive files sometimes can't be accessed on desktop running Window Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FredricJLowe, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredricJLowe

FredricJLowe Thread Starter

I have a new Dell XPS420 quad core processor running Windows Vista Premium Home edition. I have my old hard drive in an external case and at times when I try to open files on the external hard drive I am not able to. It says I do not have permission. I have read articles on how to gain permission and at times I am successful, but it is a real pain to do that each time! I tried turning off User Account Control on the new desktop and then tried to access the external hard drive files, but I still received the same message, that I do not have control and it was denied.

Is there any way to gain permanent control over that external hard drive? I was the only user of that that was housed on my Compaq Presario 5430US that ran Windows XP Home edition.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/727273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice