1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive for BackUp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BarnStorm, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BarnStorm

BarnStorm Thread Starter

I've been using a salvaged hard drive from an old PC (with an enclosure) for my external file back-up.

As it's getting long in the tooth, and capacity is getting pinched, I want to explore a new one (say... 1 to 2 TB range).

I know there's lots of them out there from different manufacturers, but hoped to get a few recommendations from this esteemed forum.

Or maybe it's just all about price given the technology itself is quite "commodity."

Thanks for any input on what to consider.

2. martindewy

martindewy

I have had ex hard drives now for a while and was very satisfied, then i purchased a flt screen tv i bought an Iomega 1TB Screen Play plus media player , i found it excellent plug in to tv and play ,operating system very user friendly 1 USB port on front and copy and paste facility so easy transfer onto player, then i got a 2 TB ScreenPlay Director Iomega Media player a excellent machine very user friendly and you can copy and paste from player to stick and stick to player , very happy with it (y) ,a little pricey but well worth it . hope this helps ;)

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    As you are considering the change
    as you are aware harddrives do fail, and having all you backup on just one device may not always be safe

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

There's several Advantages to Making you own ..
    Using a good enclosure .. Then installing a really good HD.
    Something like This enclosure with a really good cooling fan ...
    And something like one of These HDDs with a 5 year warranty.
    As said, any HDD/enclosure can fail .. so I usually get two of each.

5. Hughv

Hughv

What Noyb said.
    I've had to crack open several externals and it blows my mind hat some are so difficult to open that they may not be re-useable.
    I've been using this case, which is easy to assemble and, of the ten or so I've assembled, none have given any problems.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145406&sku=V13-3254
    Santa also brought me an NAS with RAID capability which has been very good so far.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3952307&sku=D700-2364

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

There is no way I would purchase a pre-assembled external hard drive. Purchase the enclosure and drive of your choice and take the 15 or so minutes to put it together. When you build your own unit you don't have any surprises like some folks who purchased WD Passport externals then found out the hard drive was not a standard SATA interface.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Most people get an external to back up their files ... But they buy a premade and can't get to the HD.
    They may backup their files but they don't backup their operating system ...
    If their computer crashes .. They're into a lot of work rebuilding.

If you build your own external and can get to the HDD .. You can have your next HD built and waiting in the enclosure.
    In a crash .. Just physically swap the HDs
    My next Fresh system restore is already built and waiting in my external.

Attached Files:

• 333.gif
      333.gif
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice