1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive freezes windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chriswedge, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriswedge

chriswedge Thread Starter

Hi

I bought an external hard drive (Seagate FreeAgent) and it was working fine up until one day where I couldn't find it anymore in My computer or Device Manager. If I plugged it in while windows was running, my whole system would just freeze, Ctrl Alt Del wouldn't even work! I re-installed windows XP and started from scratch but this didn't work. I took the hard drive back and replaced it. This then worked on a family member's laptop but back on my computer it's the same old story.

Any help would be greatly received!

Thanks

I have just plugged in my ipod too and it froze so it may be a USB problem! However it doesn't freeze with a cheap mp3 player, i'm really confused, can anyone help??

2. Jayce139

Jayce139

A friendly and needed bump to this question.

I am also having a similar problem as this. A while ago I installed a second hard drive and everything works fine on it currently. The problem is that afterwards whenever I try to plug in an external hard disk of any kind, through a USB port, the computer will immediately freeze. Now this includes ipods, cameras with memory disks, and others of that nature. I have tried searching all over the web and have yet to find an answer. It would after all be nice to update my ipod playlist ;).

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Its possible that you are either missing a driver, or have a corrupted driver, for either the hard drive or the USB socket. In th efirst case I would suggest go to device manager, and go down to USB devices ( near the bottom as i recall, click toopen a few boxes and see which). Where you have a USB device registered, probably as generic or hub, right click and remove them. Power down, make sure all usb devices are disconnected from th ecomputer, and power up. It should detect the USBs and install them for you. Power down/uo again, to be safe, then try plugging in the USB devices one at a time, let them install. Pwer doen/up and install th enext one. Keep going until all devices are installed. Hopefully this will cure the problem, if you find one hangs the sytem, thats probably the one causing th eprob.

The other alternative is that you only have USB1, and th edevixeis USB2. In this case, the device can hang, as comms dont work properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/617467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice